Žilina and the Beskids
1.385.036 inhabitants live in Euroregion Beskids CRITICAL MASS
Žilina, Frýdek-Místek, and Bielsko-Biała are industrial and economic centres surrounded by the Beskids mountains. This poignant contrast between the urban and natural landscapes impacts the character of those cities; the surrounding mountains and forests provide opportunities for tourism and outdoor activities. Joining our forces would help us to gain a critical mass of inhabitants (1.385.036 inhabitants live in Euroregion Beskids) and operators, and will make our voices heard more in the broader European context.
Social & cultural interactions
CULTURE & INDUSTRY
While on the economic level, particularly in the automotive industry, the Žilina region is deeply intertwined with its neighbours, the social and cultural interactions often don’t go beyond formal demonstrations of cultural heritage, regional tourism and traditional commercial exchanges. Despite the strong ties existing in the region, there is still a lot of untapped potential in these cross-border cooperations, especially in the field of culture and creative industries.
We want to use the European Capital of Culture as an opportunity to explore our mutual relationship across the three borders and to create together an attractive and dynamic region, based on its creative, industrial and touristic potential.
This candidacy is a unique chance for the city of Žilina and the surrounding region to deal with the complex legacy of the past and to define the future European direction. We feel the need to tear down the mental barriers and to work together across the national borders. Despite our differences, we agreed to unite in pursuit of common interest, to escape the trap of passive provincialism by means of enhanced cooperation, to establish a “new centrality” and “repositioning” the region on the European map.
In the upcoming years, we expect the completion of the last missing part of the Baltic-Adriatic route E75, part of the EU core Trans-European Transport Network (TEN-T). The new motorway will connect the cross-border regions and shorten the distance between Žilina, Bielsko-Biała and Frýdek-Místek. This new infrastructure will definitely change our relationships.
Cultural profile of Žilina
The cultural profile of the city is made up of a mixture of traditional folk culture and contemporary art. Established cultural institutions such as theatres, museums, and libraries blend with the lively ecosystem of independent cultural organisations to provide a solid base for cultural infrastructure.
- Slovak Sinfonietta – State Chamber Orchestra Žilina
- Puppet Theatre Žilina
- Museum of the Považie Region
- The Museum of Art Žilina
- Regional Cultural Centre Žilina
- Regional Library Žilina
- Astronomical Observatory
- Stanica – cultural node
- Nová synagóga – centre of contemporary arts and culture
- City Theatre Žilina
- Rosenfeld Palace
- Museum of Jewish culture
- Community centre Bratislavská
- Na ceste ?
- Kysuce Gallery
- Kysuce Museum – Vychylovka open air folk museum and historical railway
- Kysuce Museum in Čadca
- Museum of the Považie region – Budatin castle
- Museum of the Považie region – Strečno castle
- Museum of the Považie region – Museum of Transport Rajecké Teplice
- Museum of the Považie region – Folk architecture objects Čičmany
- Museum of the Považie region – Exposition Jánošík and Terchová
- Museum of the Považie region – Bytča Palace
- Orava Museum – Orava Forest Railway
- Orava Gallery – County House in Dolný Kubín
- Orava Gallery – Orava Gallery Slanica Island of Art in Námestovo
- Bielsko Gallery BWA
- Puppet Theatre Banialuka
- Beskids Library in Bielsko – Biała
- Regional Development Agency SA – Fablab24
- Bielsko Cultural Centre
- Gallery of Photography B&B
- Polish Theatre in Bielsko – Biała
- City Cultural House
- Lotos Jazz Festival – Bielska Zadymka Jazzowa
- Fundacja Ludzie-Innowacje-Design
- Studio Filmów Rysunkowych
- Historical Museum Bielsko – Biała – Castle of the Dukes Sułkowski
- Historical Museum Bielsko – Biała – Old Factory
- Bielsko Artistic Association Grodzki Theatre